In The Beginning
The requirement for a community service organisation was acknowledged after the disastrous 1969 fires which swept through the Township of Lara. The newly formed Club was sponsored by the Lions Club of Geelong and chartered in July 1970.
What We Do
Our emphasis is on community service with many of our programmes raising funds for Lions foundations and funding many local programmes and requests for physical and material assistance. The Club's administration operates on three levels being Fundraising; Community Connection and Youth, District & International).
What is a Lion
Lions members are men and women of all ages, occupations and interests. We are non-sectarian and non-political.
Members can choose the activities and committees they wish to be involved with and have opportunities in developing leadership and organisational abilities.
Through Lions, we get to meet people from a range of backgrounds with a wide variety of interests and skills.
- Annual Charity Golf Day
- Annual Classic Motor Show
- Annual Community Raffle
- Annual Festival of Sails
- Annual Giant Book Sale
- Australian International Airshows
- Lions Cakes and Mints
- Men’s Health Night
- Women’s Health Night
- Sponsoring the Lions Club of Little River
- Sponsoring the Leo Club of Lara
- Sponsoring the Lions Club of Corio Norlane
- Establishing the Annual Citizen of the Year Award
- Establishing the Lara Network Group
- Graffiti Removal Programme
- Making the Children's Charity Network a National 'B' Project
- Assisting the 'Keep em Safe' youth alcohol prevention programme being established
In Partnership with other Organisations/Groups
- Lara Community Centre (Shire of Corio, Lara Progress Association)
- Lara Heritage Festival (Lara Progress Association)
- Australia Day Breakfast (Many Community Groups)
- Hoffman Walk (Friends of Kevin Hoffman Walk)
- St Laurence Community Services 'Walk of Life' (Lara Network Group)