The Lara Community Centre is a not-for-profit organisation which was established in 1982 as a joint project of the Shire of Corio, the Lara Progress Association, the Lions Club of Lara and other organisations. It continues to facilitate community development and provide opportunities for mutual support and sharing of skills and resources to build a better quality of life for the residents of Lara and the surrounding district.
The Lara Community Centre is a member of Neighbourhood Houses Victoria.
9-11 Waverley Road, Lara (Adminstration site)
73 Buckingham Street, Lara (The Bisinella Community Centre)
9am to 3pm Monday to Thursday, 9am to 12.30pm Friday
Office Services, Internet and Computer Access
The Community Centre offers the following office and computing services:
- Internet and computer access - Free (Bookings essential)
- Printing from computer - 20c per page
The aims of the Lara Community Centre are:
- To facilitate community development and provide opportunities for mutual support and sharing of skills and resources to build a better quality of life for the residents of Lara and the surrounding district.
- To assist in reducing social isolation in the local community, to encourage the use of the Centre and involvement in its programs by minority groups and to promote a sense of belonging and community spirit.
- To encourage volunteer involvement.
To provide a venue for:
- local groups to hold meetings
- groups and families to hold celebrations and other functions
- educational and recreational programs for young and old
- access programs for the unemployed
- a common meeting place for individuals to meet informally
- to raise funds and seek finance for the day to day operation of the Centre.
The Lara Community Centre has been established and continues to operate on the basis of public funding grants, donations from local organisations, revenue from education courses, occasional childcare service and other activities. Public funding is received from Department of Health and Human Services.
Committee of Management
The Lara Community Centre is run by a voluntary committee of governance. The Centre is funded through the Department of Health and Human Services and a range of other funding bodies to which it is responsible.
The Committee of Management is also responsible to the City of Greater Geelong for the management of the building and surrounds.
The Centre Manager is Vivian Fry, who is assisted by a range of part-time, casual, contract and volunteer staff in the running of the Centre and its many activities.